Back in March, Ben Dubow posted an few interesting general observations about postmoderns vs. moderns. It is always good to be reminded of the difference in perspective.
- Postmoderns generally want to belong before they believe.
- Moderns generally believe before they belong.
- Postmodern understanding of truth: “Does it work?”
- Modern understanding of truth: “Does it add up?”
- Postmodern metaphor for faith: Journey.
- Modern metaphor for faith: Decision.
- Postmodern idea of discipleship: Am I moving in the right direction?
- Modern idea of discipleship: Am I learning the right information? Doing the right things?
- Postmodern idea of fellowship: Community is the end.
- Modern idea of fellowship: Community is a means to an end.
- Postmodern idea of evangelism: Incarnational, ask questions.
- Modern idea of evangelism: Propositional, presentational, answer questions.
Can you think of any to add?