Two books arrived in the mail yesterday. They were free review copies that came as part of my participation in “The Ooze Select Blogger Book Review” group.
The first is Brian Sanders’ “Life After Church” (Inter-Varsity Press, 2007). Eddie Gibbs writes, “There is a growing awareness of the extent of the ‘back door’ problem facing many churches. It is often assumed that church leavers represent either the disgruntled transferring to other churches or those who have abandoned their Christian faith. In reality, many are leaving churches out of disillusionment and frustration to continue their spiritual pilgrimage. Brian Sanders tackles this important topic with a clear, analytical mind. He identifies the complex process of leaving a church, and suggests practical ways it can be done in a responsible manner. Most important of all, he argues that leaving must lead to a fresh vision and renewed commitment to Christ, community and the kingdom of God.”
A full book report after I get “Life After Church” read.
The second is a new bible called “The Books of the Bible” (International Bible Society, 2007). This is a narrative type bible which uses the “Today’s New International Version” as its base. Many different literary forms are found in the Bible and if we don’t read the different books in the literary form intended, misunderstanding and distortion of meaning can follow. “‘The Books of the Bible’ seeksâ€¦to present each of the books of the Bible in their distinctive literary forms and structures.” Specifically:
- Chapter and verse numbers have been removed.
- Books are presented according to the internal divisions that the editors believe the authors intended.
- A single-column format is used to present the text clearly and naturally.
- Footnotes, section headings and other supplementary material has been removed.
- Individual books that later tradition divided into two or more books are made whole again.
- Books have been placed in an order that the editors hope will help readers understand them better.
My understanding is that the IBS is making this an affordable version at only US$8.95.